Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Part-Time caregiver

Despite having been away from home working and living in Singapore since Dec 1997, my relationship with my family has never changed. In fact, PD brought us even closer!

In 1994, my father was diagnosed with PD. I was still doing my lower secondary school then. Being the sole breadwinner for the family, he continued to work till 2000, when all of us graduated from secondary school. Since then, I took over his role to support my family and my younger brother's further education.

The initial years of PD was still manageable and trips home were less frequent. He was still very mobile and independent even in the advanced stage of PD. Most of the time, he would stay at home alone while my mom, a rubber tapper, goes to the rubber estate in the morning. As his PD advances, my responsibilities for my family increases. My mom had to stop work to take care of him and I started travel home every fortnightly since 2006. And weekly, since the 2nd quarter of 2008.

My parents had never liked the idea of having a domestic helper. So, we rely solely on my mom being the main caregiver to my father. While Im the part-timer.

Usually, I travel home by the KTMB train after I finished work on Friday. The train ride took at least 4 hours from Singapore to Segamat. I would reach home slightly before midnight and my mom will be picking me up at the railway station.

The primary duties as a part-time caregiver - took over my mom's duties (except cooking!) including dispensing medicines, accompanying my father for daily evening walk, doing simple exercise and stretching together, discussing and monitoring how the medicines is working on him so that we can better understand his needs, occasionally bring them out for shopping and dining, etc. I'm also in-charge of bringing my father to KL for medical reviews. As I have not been making use of my decade-old driving license, we have to charter a taxi for every hospital visits to KL. Travelling is a real challenge as my father has motion sickness. He would vomit almost every trip and feeling ill the next day. Nevertheless, he has never complained or whined.



Exercising

My duties start as I get out of my bed the mornings of Saturdays. By then, my parents would have already come back from morning walk. I would ask my mom the time the first dose was given and continue the subsequent doses. My father takes five times of stalevo (150mg) and requip (1mg) tds.

After morning walk, my father usually rest in the living hall where he wound karaoke or play harmonica while my mom starts preparing for lunch. We try to get him involves in tasks like peeling the sweet potatoes skin or tapioca leaves so as he doesn’t feel he is redundant. Never a chauvinist; he helps even without us asking!

Lunch is always ready before noon. By then, my father would have already taken shower and waiting in front of tv for the mandarin news at 12.00pm. While watching the news, he took his lunch.

Falling is almost inevitable in PD. This could be contributed by several factors such as freezing, loosing balance or changing position like getting up from sitting position to walk before they stabilise themselves. It could be due to postural hypotension as well. As my father had a few falls previously, we have to place the anti-slip floor mat in all the bathrooms.

Being a very careful and disciplined individual, my father also takes every possible precautionary measures to avoid from falling. He would hold tight to the handrails when he was going up or down the stairs. He also brings in a stool to the bathroom when taking shower. Whenever Im home I would walk him to the bathroom to make sure everything is alright. While he is taking showers, I would pop into the room just to make sure he is doing fine. Sometimes, hearing him singing while having shower put a big smile on my face!

After watching mandarin news, he usually takes a short nap. When he woke up from the afternoon nap, its coffee time. I'll make him a cup of coffee and sit down chit-chatting while watching tv. My father takes smaller portions of meals over several times a day. I remind him to chew slowly when he eats in order to digest better.

I have to constantly think of ways to help him kill time. I bought jigsaw puzzle for him to play. He is really good at them! He is known "the uncle who is very good at jigsaw puzzle" when my cousin's bro-in-law visited us and withnessed him playing it. Every two weeks, I add 2 new sets to his total collection. When my brother is home, they play Chinese chess.

Sometimes in the late afternoon, he goes out for his leisure 4D betting. If the weather is not too hot, he goes for walk and come home later to have an green apple one hour before dinner.

After dinner, he goes for evening walk. I remembered once, when I was with him walking passed a neighbour’s house. The female neighbour teased “Wow, you have a body guard!” He grinned and nodded in agreement.

Daily chit-chatting session

Evenings are mostly spent chit-chatting either at our porch area or my cousin’s house nearby. Im always impressed by my father’s compulsive neatness. He does everything within his means systematically. He washed the dishes after dinner and went for shower after that. I enjoy watching him using the powered toothbrush cleaning his teeth and followed by antiseptic mouth rinse. He never skips a step! Later, he changed to pajamas by 9pm to get ready to sleep.

The part-time care giver's job end here when he is sleeping soundly. Most of the time, I continue to stay in the living hall or even sleep there just in case he needs help in the middle of the night.

1 comment:

matina said...

i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com